What is BAQSIMI?
- BAQSIMI is a powder form of glucagon given in the nose.
- Unlike injectable glucagon, BAQSIMI is ready to use and does not need to be mixed or measured.
- BAQSIMI does not need to be inhaled.
- BAQSIMI can be given in a low blood sugar emergency when the person is unable to eat or drink, even if they are unconscious.
- You can still use BAQSIMI if you have a cold or are taking cold medicine.
- BAQSIMI does not need to be kept in a refrigerator. It can be stored at temperatures up to 30˚C (86˚F).
- Do not remove the shrink wrap or open the tube until ready to use
How BAQSIMI works?
BAQSIMI helps to increase blood sugar. It does this by releasing stored glucose (glycogen) from the liver to the blood.
BAQSIMI contains glucagon, which is a naturally occurring hormone that works by telling your liver to release glucose thereby increasing your blood sugar level.
BAQSIMI has not been studied in children under 4 years of age.
How is BAQSIMI different?
BAQSIMI is different from other low blood sugar emergency treatments because it is delivered in the nose instead of as an injection. BAQSIMI can still be given even if your nose is congested or you have used decongestants.