When to use BAQSIMI?
- BAQSIMI is used when you are having a low blood sugar emergency and are unable to eat or drink, requiring help from someone else to recover.
- It’s important that people around you recognize the possible signs of a low blood sugar, so they can be prepared to help.
- Show your family, friends, or coworkers where you keep BAQSIMI and explain how to use it by sharing these instructions. They need to know how to use BAQSIMI before you need it.
- Tell your doctor each time you use BAQSIMI. Your doctor may need to adjust your dose of drugs for diabetes.
A low blood sugar emergency can happen anytime, anywhere
For example, these episodes can happen when you miss a meal, exercise too much, do not eat enough food for the amount of insulin taken, or even at night while you sleep.
BAQSIMI is a dry nasal powder that can be given by those around you during a low blood sugar emergency.
BAQSIMI has not been studied in pediatric patients less than 4 years old.
Limited clinical trial experience has not identified difference in responses between elderly (≥65 years of age) and younger patients.
- Hypersensitivity to glucagon or to any ingredient in the formulation or container
Most serious warnings and precautions:
Lack of response: BAQSIMI should be given only in patients where impaired consciousness precludes oral carbohydrates. After intranasal administration of BAQSIMI, the patient will normally respond within 15 minutes. If the patient does not respond within 15 minutes, intravenous glucose must be administered as soon as IV access can be established.
States of starvation, adrenal insufficiency or chronic hypoglycemia: Because glucagon is of little or no help in these cases, intravenous glucose should be used for the treatment of hypoglycemia in these conditions.
Other relevant warnings and precautions:
- Cardiovascular effects
- Driving and operating machinery
- Sensitivity and resistance to glucagon
- Pregnant women
- Pediatrics (<4 years of age)
- Geriatrics (≥65 years of age)
- Use in patients with Type 2 diabetes taking sulfonylureas
- Use with alcohol
- Monitoring and laboratory tests
For more information:
Consult the Product Monograph at http://pi.lilly.com/ca/baqsimi-ca-pm.pdf for additional important information relating to warnings and precautions, adverse reactions, drug interactions and dosing information which have not been discussed in this piece. The Product Monograph is also available by calling 1-888-545-5972.