In a severe hypoglycemia emergency
Ready for rescue
The first and only glucagon with nasal administration
BAQSIMI™ is indicated for the treatment of severe hypoglycemic reactions which may occur in the management of insulin treated patients with diabetes mellitus, when impaired consciousness precludes oral carbohydrates.
Formulation invented in Canada
- Dry powder form of glucagon
- Single use, pre-filled nasal device with 3 mg dose
- Ready to use with no reconstitution or priming required
Does not need to be refrigerated
- Can be stored up to 30°C (86°F) in the shrink-wrapped tube provided
- Absorbed passively via the intranasal route — no inhalation required
- BAQSIMI has a shelf life of 2 years from the date of manufacture
- Each BAQSIMI device contains a single dose and is available as a 1-pack.
BAQSIMI has not been studied in pediatric patients less than 4 years old.
Limited clinical trial experience has not identified difference in responses between elderly (≥65 years of age) and younger patients.
- Hypersensitivity to glucagon or to any ingredient in the formulation or container
Most serious warnings and precautions:
Lack of response: BAQSIMI should be given only in patients where impaired consciousness precludes oral carbohydrates. After intranasal administration of BAQSIMI, the patient will normally respond within 15 minutes. If the patient does not respond within 15 minutes, intravenous glucose must be administered as soon as IV access can be established.
States of starvation, adrenal insufficiency or chronic hypoglycemia: Because glucagon is of little or no help in these cases, intravenous glucose should be used for the treatment of hypoglycemia in these conditions.
Other relevant warnings and precautions:
- Cardiovascular effects
- Driving and operating machinery
- Sensitivity and resistance to glucagon
- Pregnant women
- Pediatrics (<4 years of age)
- Geriatrics (≥65 years of age)
- Use in patients with Type 2 diabetes taking sulfonylureas
- Use with alcohol
- Monitoring and laboratory tests
For more information:
Consult the Product Monograph at http://pi.lilly.com/ca/baqsimi-ca-pm.pdf for additional important information relating to warnings and precautions, adverse reactions, drug interactions and dosing information which have not been discussed in this piece. The Product Monograph is also available by calling 1-888-545-5972.